Old Jewish Cemetery - Jewish Museum:
This cemetery was probably established at the turn of the 14th and the 15th centuries. The oldest preserved tombstone is from 1439. The cemetery was extended several times via buying out the neighbouring land plots. Burial services were abolished in 1787, when a decree of Joseph II prohibited utilization of burial places inside the inhabited parts of the town.
There are more than 12,000 tomb stones in the Old Jewish Cemetery, yet there are...more »