Image 1 of 1

Stephansplatz & St. Stephen's Cathedral, Vienna

The Stephansplatz is a square at the geographical centre of Vienna. It is named after its most prominent building, the Stephansdom, Vienna's cathedral and one of the tallest churches in the world. The current Romanesque and Gothic form of St. Stephen's Cathedral, seen today in the Stephansplatz, was largely initiated by Duke Rudolf IV (1339–1365) and stands on the ruins of two earlier churches, the first a parish church consecrated in 1147. The most important religious building in Vienna, St. Stephen's Cathedral has borne witness to many important events in Habsburg and Austrian history and has, with its multi-coloured tile roof, become one of the city's most recognizable symbols. The funeral of the Italian composer, Antonio Vivaldi was held in this cathedral in 1741.
twitterlinkedinfacebook